Skip to main content

Topic #1 - Curating/Downsizing a Collection, Part I

Although, I have personal experience with this topic, I wasn't sure how to begin. So, I'll let these photos tell part of the story.

 When your house gets to looking like this, it's time to downsize! I had over 100 dolls in my bedroom, about 50 in my home office, 30 in my living room, and 20 in another room, plus another 15 in my laundry room! and more dolls here and there in every room. It got to the point, there was no place to sit! These photos don't give you a true idea of what it looked like. I had about 250 dolls all over my house! 


Having a lot of dolls wouldn't be so bad if I knew how to display them. There were just too many for the size of the house, I hadn't a clue how to display them correctly. It became overwhelming instead of aesthetically pleasing.

I opened up a shop on Ruby Lane, and I not only sold a lot of my dolls, but sold other collector's dolls, too. It kept me very busy for 7 years. 

You'd think that selling a bunch of dolls would make an improvement, but here's the truth - I was still buying dolls! So, it was like bailing water out of a leaking boat.

The key is don't buy any more dolls if you're serious about reducing your collection. At least, if you buy a doll, sell a doll. That will prevent your collection from growing out of control. I did that for awhile, and it helped a little. But, I wanted to reduce, not replace.

I began by choosing 5 dolls to sell. It was really difficult at first. But, I think, if you have a large collection, you can find at least 5 you can let go. Once those were sold, I'd pick another 5. It gets harder as you get down to your real favorites. The best way to know for sure is remove it from the group of dolls you have, out of sight, and see if you miss it. If you don't, you can let it go. My problem was I didn't miss it, 'til I saw it again.....

What you choose to sell is a personal choice. I changed my criteria a couple of times, going from color of costume to theme of doll to type of doll. You might want to reduce your collection to only the best quality, mostly original dolls or want to change the type of dolls you collect. Either way, it has to start with SELLING.

I finally got serious about 4 years ago and stopped buying dolls and concentrated on selling. My collection has been significantly reduced. I have about 37 dolls now. I'm still working on it. My goal is 25 dolls! I'm almost there, but here's a confession, I just bought another doll! 

Comments

  1. Linda, I am so glad that you are back to blogging again!!! Your perspective & expertise have been missed. Thanks for posting about curating a collection; great info and advice that I need to put into action in my own collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What a Marvelous Age We Live In!

Little Girl with Boudoir Doll

Cute photo of girl with boudoir doll

Boudoir Doll Sighting - The Film "Speedy" - Harold Lloyd - 1928

Harold Lloyd, Ann Christy in "Speedy" 1928 - boudoir doll given away as prize at Coney Island.








Unfortunately, this YouTube film clip has the wrong music and repeats scenes and has scenes out of context so it doesn't represent the movie correctly. The Coney Island part of this movie, the way it originally was, was great! You might want to rent the DVD - Netflix has it. Anyway, boudoir doll starts at 3:54.........