Skip to main content

Topic #3 - Photographing Art Dolls, Capturing Their Spirit - The Dolls

 Lilith


As mentioned before, I like angles. This applies to photos too. You can affect the look of the doll by changing the angle of the shot. Lighting makes a difference too, influencing the mood of the photo. 


Because these dolls have their own “souls,” each one will photograph in a different way. What I’ve noticed is the doll, like people, have a “better” side. What I do is shoot at different angles as well as angle their heads, arms, legs and torso if they can be adjusted, and I take lots of photos. Sometimes, when I have a photogenic doll, I take too many so it’s hard to go through and pick the best ones!


Like models, some dolls are “naturals.” Here are some photos – you can decide which ones have Clara Bow’s “It” or not.

 Lenci Fadette - notice the natural attitude of the doll, but turning her head and putting her hand on her hip makes a difference.

 Lenci Fadette - I angled this shot just a bit instead of posing the doll.

 German Apache - I think this photo could have been much better if it had a plain background with just the doll at the table.

 Blossom - This is an old photo I took about 10 years ago! Notice how she is slightly tilted, giving her a more flirty look.

French Les Poupees Pierrette - I photographed these dolls, shooting slightly up, giving the "mini-me" Pierrot more attention. He looks like he's about to fight anyone that comes near, sort of a Ninja Pierrot?

 French Smoker - I took this photo, aiming up. Since this was taken on the stairs, I could easily position myself below the doll.

 Lenci Zulema - I did the same here, aimed up, giving her a haughty look.

 German Pin Cushion - even this pin cushion has expression. I took this photo, aiming at a slight angle so her side glancing eyes were obviously flirty.

 Alma - Attitude doesn't begin to describe this doll!

 Jane - I posed this doll slightly forward to give her head a more tilted appearance.

 Lenci Mimi - This photo, too, could have been better had I angled better and had a plainer background.

I'm going to have to take better pictures of Mimi. She screams attitude, and I need to show that better.

 Sardeau Rudolph Valentino and Natcha Rambova - Mineralava Beauty Contest - These dolls are fabulous! I'd love to pose them dancing.....

 Lenci Fadette - I need to take newer photos of this doll. She's faded and needs a brighter background.

"Big Face" Anita or Anita-type - love this doll! She deserves a better photo.

Comments

  1. I just adore all of the dolls, but that French Smoker is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What a Marvelous Age We Live In!

Boudoir Doll Sighting - The Film "Speedy" - Harold Lloyd - 1928

Harold Lloyd, Ann Christy in "Speedy" 1928 - boudoir doll given away as prize at Coney Island.








Unfortunately, this YouTube film clip has the wrong music and repeats scenes and has scenes out of context so it doesn't represent the movie correctly. The Coney Island part of this movie, the way it originally was, was great! You might want to rent the DVD - Netflix has it. Anyway, boudoir doll starts at 3:54.........

Little Girl with Boudoir Doll

Cute photo of girl with boudoir doll